No matter what type of business you’re in or what position you hold, you must be able to sell your ideas to others.
If you’re the owner, then you have to sell your ideas to your employees or your board of directors. If you’re an employee of a business, then you must be able to sell your ideas to your boss, your company, or your clients. It seems that in this life, no matter whether it’s in business, relationships,or parenthood you had better be adept at selling your ideas to others.
It isn’t hard to master this procedure but it takes practice. The first and most important rule of thumb is to remember that one’s credibility and power to make the desired changes must be earned. Here are some specific points to remember:
- Be absolutely positive that you understand every aspect related to your proposal. If there are obstacles within your organization to your idea, find a way around them before you make your suggestions. Then when they are raised, you can come up with a solution.
- Know who or what sections of your business may be affected negatively by your idea. Then find a way to modify it so that the organization can get all or most of the benefits without any parties getting hurt.
- Be aware of your own credibility. Often, it’s the presenter more than what is presented that is judged.
- Limit the number of suggestions made. This will increase your credibility if you’ve prioritized your ideas before trying to sell them.
- When you want to be taken seriously, you must use the rules for developing influence. The Four Rs; Role, Respect, Relationships, and Rhetoric.
Make sure your role is that of a clear advocate. Gain the respect you need through hard work and dedication to your responsibilities. Form alliances that are based on mutual respect and hard work. Finally, know exactly what you are proposing and all the implications of your idea.
The ability to sell your ideas to others is a valuable asset and understanding how it’s done is easy. No matter whether you’re dealing with your peers, your business, your children, or your significant other – your ability to sell your idea will be used so hone this tool well.