You only have to walk into any department store or chemist to know what there are A LOT of different brands and shades of makeup out there to make even the biggest makeup lovers head spin with all the options available.
But what if you’re like me and don’t know the first thing about makeup, how to put it on, which one you should be wearing, or, simply, where to begin getting tips.
Well, hopefully this will help.
Irregular makeup wearer, but makeup wearer none-the-less, Deborah M. Cliff has these tips to offer and which ones she uses:
Tip 1: “Keep your makeup fresh. Throw out any you have had for a really long time. It does go out of date”.
Tip 2: “If you don’t wear makeup very often (like me), don’t subscribe to trends. Stick with what works best for you. I buy what’s quickest and easiest for me and looks good on”.
Tip 3: “Either wash your brushes, or throw them out and replace. Don’t keeper brushes with makeup in them for years. It’s yucky”.
Now to the products she uses:
- Foundation: “I use Maybelline dream nude airfoam. It is seiously the best foundation that I have ever used. The coverage is light, it’s super easy to apply, especially with a makeup sponge and it looks great”.
- BB Cream: “I have garnier at the moment. I’ve found them all to be much of a muchness. Most of the time I skip foundation and use BB cream instead”.
- Primer: “Best product ever. I have Rimmel. Keeps your makeup looking great all day”.
- Rimmel stay matt pressed powder: “I use this every time I put makeup on, stops you from looking shiny and fake”.
- Model co eye shadow: “I have the one with three nude / brown shimmery tones and it works for me as I prefer the natural look. Smokey eye looks like a panda on me”.
- Rimmel nouveau blush: “I do like the Maybelline blushes better. So will move on to that once I’ve used this one up”.
- Cover girl stick balm: “Awesome”.
- “SO in love with my new Mac lipstick in velvet teddy. Perfect shade for me”.
- “Picked up these brushes from Woolworths, unsure of the exact brand but they are the best”.
- BYS concealer: “I rarely wear it. This one does the trick”.
- Mascara: “Just a basic mascara is all I want. I like Rimmel brand for most things so I generally stick with Rimmel mascara as well”.
- Rimmel eyebrow pencil: “I’m a serial plucker so I use this when I’ve gone too far. Oops”.
Similarly, Tamara Floyd compiled a list of 10 essential things even non-makeup wearers need in their “makeup bag” (if you have one I guess).
Here’s her advice:
1 CETAPHIL DAILY FACIAL MOISTURIZER FOR ALL SKIN TYPES, SPF 50, $11.19– available at Drugstore.com
“A daily moisturizer is a must for anyone, especially in the winter months. This one has a SPF of 50, perfect for any season”.
2 EOS SMOOTH LIP BALM SPHERE, $2.99- available at Drugstore.com
“If I can only do one thing, I apply my lip balm. Eos Smooth Lip Balm actually hydrates dry lips with its natural and organic ingredients”.
3 NEUTROGENA NATURALS FRESH CLEANSING + MAKEUP REMOVER, $6.39- available at Drugstore.com
“This is a sulfate-free facial cleanser that also doubles as a makeup remover. If one day you do feel like being fancy, you’ll already have the perfect makeup remover”.
4 YES TO CUCUMBERS HYPOALLERGENIC FACIAL TOWELETTES, $5.99- available at Drugstore.com
“Facial towelettes are for those busy days when washing your face isn’t an option. These babies cleanse and refresh tired skin without drying”.
5 TRUE MATCH SUPER BLENDABLE CRAYON CONCEALER, $8.95- available at Drugstore.com
“Concealer helps to mask any imperfections, whether it’s a blemish or dark circles. What woman doesn’t want that?”
6 A BOLD LIPSTICK, $15- available at MAC Cosmetics
“A bold lipstick is for those days that a non-makeup wearer like myself wants to kick it up a notch. My lipstick of choice is MAC Riri Woo or Ruby Woo — both are less than $20”.
7 COVERGIRL CLEAN PRESSED POWDER, OIL CONTROL, $5.95- available at Drugstore.com
“Instead of wearing foundation every day, I wear an oil-control powder. It’s light and takes away the shine”.
8 BROW KIT, $37- Sephora as a range of these
“Brows frame the face. A brow kit shapes unruly brows for a clean, made-up look with or without makeup”.
9 BROW MOUSSE/ PENCIL, $28- available at Sephora
“Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse has a light, airy consistency that allows it to glide on effortlessly and seamlessly. It’s perfect for shaping or filling in eyebrows while still looking natural”.
10 And finally, CLEAN & CLEAR OIL ABSORBING SHEETS, $5.49- available at Drugstore.com
“Clean & Clear® Oil-Absorbing Sheets instantly soak up excess oil and remove shine from your face, leaving behind powder”.