I live in a family of vegetarians and every summer I hear the same thing happening: they’re at a barbecue and their friends bring over a huge plate of meat and beside it they place down a small punnet of Greek salad from the supermarket. Starving! So here’s a great vegetarian recipe option you can use to get you through those sizzling summer afternoons. It’s quick, easy, juicy and, most importantly, delicious!
- 1 large field mushroom
- 1 teaspoon of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 3 thin slices of white onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons of garlic-parsley butter
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon of pureed chipotle chillies
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Rub the field mushroom with the oil, salt and pepper and add it stalk side down into a pan, or barbecue over a medium-high heat.
- Mix the mayonnaise and chipotle puree together to make a light pink sauce.
- Once the mushroom is halfway cooked, flip it over and spread the garlic-parsley butter over the stalk side.
- Cut the ciabatta in half and toast both sides in the pan with a little olive oil.
- Remove the mushroom from the heat when it’s juicy and tender to the touch.
To assemble the burger, spread the chipotle sauce on both sides of the roll. Lay the sliced onion on the bottom side, then add the mushroom and then sprinkle the mushroom with parmesan cheese. Pop the lid on and enjoy