This recipe has been in my family for many years and never fails to disappoint. It is usually made on an average Saturday afternoon in my household and if we have friends or relatives over, it is highly likely to be demolished by Sunday evening. If you have a love for bananas like me, you will have no trouble helping yourself to a slice or two.
This easy-to-make banana cake is sure to be hit for the whole family, even those little fussy eaters. It also goes great with a warm cup of tea by the fire or heater on a cold evening.
Makes about 24 pieces
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed bananas – 6 large bananas
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 450g can of crushed pineapple
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour mixture into a large rectangular baking tray lined with baking paper and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven on 180 degrees or until it is a light golden brown.
- Cool and rest cake for at least ten minutes before dusting with icing sugar.